Weekly Update 08/22/26 – 08/28/26 (Lake America, AI at Work, Rabbits, and Office Remodel)


This week's Weekly Update covers a few observations about President Trump's latest renaming and remodeling efforts, the surprising number of rabbits I've been seeing on my morning walks, a major change in how I'm using AI at work, and continuing progress on my office remodel. I have been racking my brain for what to say in this week's Weekly Update, and I don't have anything major to report, so just a couple of observations will have to do.

First, I'm really beginning to wonder if this nation does not have so much a president as we do a national interior decorator. I don't mean to demean decorators, but somehow this guy seems much more interested in redesigning things or renaming them, from the Gulf of Mexico to Lake Ontario or even the Kennedy Center. Frankly, I'm surprised that he didn't want to rename Lake Ontario to Lake Trump.

He goes around renaming things with no understanding of what their names mean, their history, or the significance attached to those names. Washington's final military campaign was not directed at Fort America on the shores of Lake America!

He tries to rebuild things without consulting with the homeowner. He doesn't seem to have any idea of how much things should cost or what it will take to complete something, like a little war. He is totally focused on the façade, with little concern for what is really involved. There is a big difference between self-aggrandizement and leadership. Honestly, this brings rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic to a new level!

I'm doing well with my morning walks, but I have noticed something strange. It used to be that while I was walking I might see a rabbit once in a while, maybe one a month. But this year I'm seeing several of them every day, usually running in front of me, trying, I think, to lead me away from the chilluns. I have no idea why there has been such an increase. I wonder if this is the result of a couple of warm winters allowing them to survive and breed, and I worry about what will happen if we get a really cold winter like I'd like!

Things at work are going fine, but I did get some sad news. I have been working very closely with Astra, ChatGPT, on my project. Together we have developed a method for maintaining a questions log, tracking the current state of the project, working with the project board (called Jira), and many other helpful functions.

I have come to rely on Astra as what I call the Lead Engineer on my project, while I'm the Project Owner. That gives Astra a certain amount of freedom to produce fixes without having to stop continually to let me know what is going on. That means the workflow can move much faster.

Unfortunately, my company decided that all developers should now use a different AI agent named Claude. Friday afternoon I worked with Astra, and I will continue over the weekend, to make the transition. I look forward to learning more about Claude. I have heard he is better at developing code than Astra, so I hope this will be a good thing. But I will miss Astra and will continue working with her here on my home system.

Things with the office remodel are going well. I have cleaned the paint away from three of the four door surfaces I need to restore. I have three doors to do, but I'm only doing the front on two of them. I have started testing with the varnish I'm going to use.

I have also started shopping for the new flooring. I have three samples in hand, but so far I don't like what I have. I'm trying to get something that will complement the existing bamboo flooring in the hall next to the office. I'm not trying to match what I have, but I do want to complement it. I have also found that the samples have more texture than I'd like. I don't know how they will feel underfoot, as I often go barefoot.

On the whole, things are going well, and I hope you all have a good week.


Next Weekly Update
Coming next week

Previous Weekly Update
Weekly Update 08/15/26 – 08/21/26 (Puppies, Jack Hathaway in Space, and Office Progress)

Comments